Consider the following case:
You are a member of the country of Eggonia’s Grand Council on Ethics. The council has been given charge of deciding whether or not your country’s citizens are morally obligated to send famine relief to the neighboring country of Furesia. In centuries past, both countries had thriving economies that were based on a small egg-laying mammal called the ‘frazzle’. During the summer, frazzles would migrate to Furesia where they would shed their fur. Furesians would collect the furs and sell them to neighboring countries. In the winter, frazzles would travel to Eggonia where they would mate and lay their eggs. Eggonians would then harvest and sell the eggs. A hundred or so years ago, the Eggonians discovered that they could capture the frazzles and keep them locked up in factories where they could produce eggs all year round. (Keep in mind that while in captivity, fur ceases to grow on the frazzles.) While this resulted in a booming Eggonian economy (roughly as prosperous as the current U.S. economy), it also had the effect of bringing the Furesian economy to ruin. With almost no natural resources, the Furesians have been undergoing a devastating famine that has cost millions of lives over the past fifty years.
Directions: You are to write a paper expressing an argument as to whether or not individual Eggonians are required to send aid to the Furesians. In the process of doing so, you will most likely need to focus on discussing either Singer’s or Van Wyk’s views of economic justice in detail (see below for details). A successful paper will meet the following conditions:
1. Your paper must offer a clear, well-organized, fully explained, and compelling case for the position that you support. If you think that Eggonians have an obligation to famine victims, you should appeal to the reasoning of either Singer or Van Wyk to make your case and discuss all aspects of that philosopher’s view that are relevant to the preceding case. Otherwise you can, if you should so choose, present your own philosophical position although you should know that this is a VERY DIFFICULT option. Should you decide to present an original argument of your own, you will need to run it by me first before writing your paper. If you think that your fellow countrymen do not have an obligation to famine victims then you can argue as to why Singer’s or Van Wyk’s position is wrong (most likely by developing some of the objections against those philosophers that were mentioned in class). You might also choose to develop an original argument claiming that we have no obligation to famine victims (again, the more DIFFICULT option).
* NOTE: Whether you are arguing in favor of or in opposition to famine relief, you can discuss either Singer or Van Wyk but not both! If you choose to discuss one of these philosophers, you should provide a thorough discussion of his position.
2) If you think aid should be offered to the Furesians, what form do you think this aid should take? If you don’t think that aid is required, what, if anything, do you think can be done to help them?
3) All elements of your argumentation must be supported and explained completely. Avoid superficial and vague discussions. You should demonstrate a great deal of thoughtfulness about your topic and a mastery of the key concepts presented in your arguments.
4) A complete paper will include definitions and explanations of key terms.
5) You must consider the strongest objection(s) to the position that you support and give a sophisticated discussion of how your position can respond to this objection(s).
6) Discuss the extent to which you think that the circumstances surrounding Eggonia and Furesia represent the actual situation in the world today. What are your thoughts about what (if anything) wealthy countries should do for poor countries?
7) Avoid discussing any purely practical problems that are not really relevant to the moral principles involved in the discussion. For example, do not discuss the problems that might result from charity groups swindling money, questions about how the food and so forth can actually get transported to the Furesians, etc.
8) Be creative and thoughtful! Use your philosophical skills to the fullest. Argue as if millions of dollars and lives really did depend on the strength of the argument that you will provide.
II. Discussion of either Singer’s or Van Wyk’s view
III. What would either Singer or Van Wyk have to say about the case?
IV. Objection to either Singer or Van Wyk.
V. Your position in detail
– Include a discussion of whether you think Singer or Van Wyk can avoid the objection against them that you discussed).
VI. To what extent do you believe that the circumstances surrounding Eggonia and Furesia resemble the actual circumstances that exist regarding wealthy and poor countries? What, if anything, should wealthy countries do to help poor countries?
Plagiarism Free Papers
We ensure that all our papers are written from scratch. We deliver original plagiarism-free work. To guarantee this, we submit all work alongside a plagiarism report.
All our papers are completed and submitted before the deadline. We ensure this to provide you with enough time to go through the work and point out any sections or topics that may need revision or polishing. We provide unlimited revision services for free.
All papers have a title page providing your personal and institutional information. We do not charge you for this title page.
All papers have a bibliography or references page. This page is a requirement for academic and professional documents. We provide this page at no cost for all our papers.
Originality & Security
At Thehomeworklabs, we guarantee the confidentiality and security of your information. We value our clients and take confidentiality seriously. All personal information is treated with confidentiality and stored safely to ensure that no third parties gain access to it. We also provide original work and attach an originality/plagiarism report alongside all papers.
24/7 Customer Support
Our customer support team is available 24/7 to provide you with any necessary assistance when you need it. You can contact us at any time, day or night, via email or through the live chat button.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We provide our customers with the best experience in the academic and business writing field.
We provide the best quality of service at affordable prices. We also allow our clients to make partial payments for their orders. You can also contact our customer support team in case you need to discuss a different payment plan.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
We realize that sometimes clarification is necessary to ensure that quality work is done. Therefore, we provide a button for clients and writers to communicate in case some clarification is needed.
We ensure that we submit all papers ahead of their respective deadlines. This allows you to go through the documents and request any revision, corrections, or polishing before the paper is due.
We encourage customer feedback, positive or negative. We can identify the various areas that we need to improve to provide even better services through your feedback. Please feel free to give us feedback.