Midterm Fall 2020 Social Movements and Social Justice
****Read the directions below carefully. The exam is worth 20 points in total. Please email me your exam no later than, Tuesday : Use assigned readings, power points, notes, lectures, films, and discussions from class to answer these questions. DO NOT consult with your classmates or use internet or other sources not assigned for class, including wikipedia, to answer these questions.
Part I:Answer 4 out of the 9 concepts. In one paragraph for each question, define the following concepts, and provide a brief example that elaborates the concept. Each question is worth 1 point.
1. Disruptive Power (Piven) – *(Chapter 2 )*
2. Social Movements from Above (Nilsen and Cox) – File*
3. Social Movements from Below (Nilsen and Cox) – File*
4. Structure of Political Opportunities (McAdam) – *(Chapter 3 & 5)*
5. Movements as “Fields of Arguments” (see Barker) – File*
6. Social Control Response to Insurgency (McAdam) – File*
7. Oligarchization (McAdam) – File*
8. Mass Strike (Luxemburg) – File*
9. Broken Windows Policing (Vitale) – *(Chapters 1,2.3,9 & 10)*
Part II.Answer BOTH questions. (8 points each).
1. The political scientist E.E. Schattschneider famously wrote that “All forms of political organization have a bias in favor of the exploitation of some kinds of conflict and the suppression of others because organization is the mobilization of bias. Some issues are organized into politics and others are organized out.”
Using Doug McAdam’s concept of the “Structure of Political Opportunities” and his case study of the civil rights movement, explain how the issue of black rights were organized out of the US political system and then subsequently organized back in.
2. The role of the police, as an institution, in society, including their relationships with social movements, is a central issue in contemporary American life. Are they a neutral force who defend and protect the interests of the entire society? Or is their real role to defend an exploitative and oppressive class and racial order, particularly through repressing and undermining social movements? Present your thesis with regard to the police, and provide data, based one engagement with, and possible critique of, Vitale (though you can include other works read in class as well) to back it up.
Plagiarism Free Papers
We ensure that all our papers are written from scratch. We deliver original plagiarism-free work. To guarantee this, we submit all work alongside a plagiarism report.
All our papers are completed and submitted before the deadline. We ensure this to provide you with enough time to go through the work and point out any sections or topics that may need revision or polishing. We provide unlimited revision services for free.
All papers have a title page providing your personal and institutional information. We do not charge you for this title page.
All papers have a bibliography or references page. This page is a requirement for academic and professional documents. We provide this page at no cost for all our papers.
Originality & Security
At Thehomeworklabs, we guarantee the confidentiality and security of your information. We value our clients and take confidentiality seriously. All personal information is treated with confidentiality and stored safely to ensure that no third parties gain access to it. We also provide original work and attach an originality/plagiarism report alongside all papers.
24/7 Customer Support
Our customer support team is available 24/7 to provide you with any necessary assistance when you need it. You can contact us at any time, day or night, via email or through the live chat button.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We provide our customers with the best experience in the academic and business writing field.
We provide the best quality of service at affordable prices. We also allow our clients to make partial payments for their orders. You can also contact our customer support team in case you need to discuss a different payment plan.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
We realize that sometimes clarification is necessary to ensure that quality work is done. Therefore, we provide a button for clients and writers to communicate in case some clarification is needed.
We ensure that we submit all papers ahead of their respective deadlines. This allows you to go through the documents and request any revision, corrections, or polishing before the paper is due.
We encourage customer feedback, positive or negative. We can identify the various areas that we need to improve to provide even better services through your feedback. Please feel free to give us feedback.